Thursday, October 6, 2011

Step Seven: So many Weddings, so much Stroganoff.

There comes a time in many a 20-something's life when he or she realizes that an absurdly high number of his or her friends are getting married/engaged/having children. J and I recently added up the number of these friends and came up with no less than 35 couples we are acquainted with who have either gotten married in the last six months, or are getting married in the next year or so. And the number simply keeps rising.

You would think, then, that weddings would somehow lose their sparkle. That at a certain point we'd simply lose interest, stop being excited, groan when we receive "Save the Date" cards or roll our eyes when Facebook alerts us of another engagement. Perhaps we will, but that point has not yet arrived. Although the number of friends and acquaintances tying the knot is approaching astronomical numbers, it doesn't take much to make me squeal with glee when a friend calls with the happy news. I cannot speak for J., but I still get weepy during the vows, happily accept Bridesmaidsdom, and thoroughly enjoy wedding cake. And I still feel sad when we are unable to attend.

This weekend was the wedding of two of our very good friends, one of whom was my roommate in college (and always my roommate in my heart). It was one of the most beautiful ceremonies in which I have had the honor and privilege to take part. The bride was glowing, the groom clearly ecstatic, the wedding party supportive and thrilled to be there. As with any wedding there were mishaps and challenges -- a missing wedding ring, uncooperative (and cold!) weather, miscommunication resulting in friends being locked out of homes in the rain -- but at the end of the day, as the bride reminded all of us, none of it mattered because they walked away from the ceremony as husband and wife, as partners, and married.

We miss our friends in the midwest so very, very much. It was an amazing opportunity to see everyone, and honest to goodness, I will never, ever forget this wedding. AND I got to spend time with two of the most wonderful women I have ever met, my ever-roomies and my best friends.



There's another friend getting married this weekend, another acquaintance the weekend after that, and still another close couple the first weekend in November. We will be unable to make any of these weddings, and for that we grieve, knowing that we will be missing out on the ceremony that begins something magical and wonderful and challenging and hopeful and incredible and everything else you know a marriage will be.

When I got home, I craved foods that were my mother's specialties. She was the officiant at the wedding, and so while I had gotten to spend time with her, I had been unable to go and snatch food straight from the pan in our kitchen at home. Beef stroganoff is one of those foods that I begin to crave the minute it starts smelling like fall outside, and since it was 50 degrees when I left Ohio, I decided we could pull out the trusty crock pot and make a batch.

This particular recipe is excellent for many reasons. First, I'm gravitating toward crock pot meals at the moment due to a busy work schedule. It's great to be able to put something in while I'm home in the early afternoon and come home to dinner after a particularly exhausting Kindergarten class, without needing to come up with the energy to create something just then. Second, the flavors in this dish are incredible. Egg noodles give the dish a beautiful base, something heartier and homier than regular pasta. The sour cream makes the dish smooth and rich and a little tangy, with beef so tender it falls apart on your fork, perfectly cooked mushrooms, and an incredible depth from the red wine. Third, the measurements are all fairly loose and are really suggestions. This is a Mom recipe, so she was remembering approximately what she usually puts in, and it's easy to increase ingredients you love, decrease the ones you don't, and add whatever comes to mind. Fourth, the leftovers reheat really well. Finally, it comes together quickly and easily, and is (thank goodness) a one pot meal.


1 lb Top Steak
1 Onion
2 Large Cloves of Garlic
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 Cups Beef Broth
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
2 Tablespoons Dry Wine
1/4 lb Mushrooms
1/4 Cup Flour
Water
Sour Cream (to taste -- I usually put in about 3/4 cup to start and then taste to see if it's enough)
Egg Noodles

Cut one pound of top steak into chunks. Salt and pepper the pieces. Add one onion, diced. Mix the minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and ketchup. Pour over meat and onions. Add wine and mushrooms. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Turn off crock pot. Mix 1/4 cup of flour with some water, stir into mixture a bit at a time, continue stirring until thick. I didn't need the full amount in order for this to thicken to the desired consistency. Add sour cream to taste. Serve over egg noodles.



See how easy that one is?

I'm going to go grab a bowl of leftovers right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment